This degree program offers training in three key areas: physical metallurgy, extractive metallurgy, and mineral processing.

Degree Benefits:

  • Acquisition of knowledge in casting, extrusion, and forging techniques
  • Substantive pay (average annual salary for Metallurgical Engineers is $95,640*)
  • Substantive job growth (8% for mining and Metallurgical Engineers)*

Career Options Include:

  • Metallurgical Engineer
  • Process Engineer
  • Quality Manager
  • Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer

*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Materials Engineers, on the Internet at (visited March 24, 2022).

Find an online bachelor's or master's degree:


An online degree in Metallurgical Engineering usually includes the same number of credit hours as it's on-campus counterpart. That means it should take you about 4 years to finish an online degree. However, if you are taking the degree online because of time constraints or work and family obligations, you may not be able to attend full-time and, therefore, it could take up to 6-8 years to attain your degree.

Before choosing a major there are some important facts you should know about.

It is important to align your career goals with the school and program that you select. If you wish to enter a field like Metallurgical Engineering, then you should select a school that offers coursework in Metallurgical Engineering. Further, you can look for schools that provide hands-on experiences like internships and projects with real-world companies.

A Metallurgical Engineering degree will certainly require to consist of some really particular training courses. Generally, a bachelor's degree in Metallurgical Engineering looks like an associate level doubled, but associates courses (the first two years) focus more on general studies. While the 3rd-5th years focus more on specific studies related to Metallurgical Engineering. Below is a sample of online bachelor's degree courses so you can see the kind of curriculum that will be typically found. Universities will differ in their specific studies needs. Compare colleges very carefully on the courses they will require you to take to gain your bachelor's degree in Metallurgical Engineering. Sample courses you may need:

  • Metallurgical Analysis
  • Electrometallurgy
  • Pyrometallurgy
  • Adaptive metallurgy
  • Physical metallurgy
  • Metallurgical Plant Design
  • Principles of Geology
  • Principles of Mining
  • Mechanics of Fluid
  • Mineral Processing
  • Metallurgical Measurements

If you're concerned about the specific graduation rate at each school you're most interested in, the Office of Institutional Research at each university should have that information. Nationwide, only 41% of university students finish within the four year timetable. The remaining 59% tend to stay in school for five years or more.

This can get very expensive. Students have to pay for additional terms of tuition. Universities and colleges may also penalize students who are taking too long to graduate. So, you need to have a plan that enables you to graduate within four to six years. See an advisor for your major every semester. Take the classes that they tell you are required. Try to take more than just the 12 minimum full-time credits per semester—instead, take 15; if you don't have to work more than 10 to 15 hours a week, try to take 18 credits. Take summer classes to get ahead (or catch up if you fail a class).

Don't change majors too often. If you're not sure of your major, take just your general education credits and try a few majors you're interested in—take an introductory class for each major and find the one that fits you best.

Depending on your school and if you are paying in-state or out-of-state tuition, a Metallurgical Engineering bachelor's degree can cost as little as $30,000 or as much as $300,000. The key difference in the price will depend on whether you attend a public, in-state school or a private school. Note that if you attend a public school in another state that you will probably pay twice (or more) of the base tuition. Private schools can be more or less expensive depending on the prestige of the school for Metallurgical Engineering or if they are charging additional fees for out-of-state students to attend the college.

Many colleges offer career services and job placement programs to help you get on the fast track to employment. Although you may assume that all Metallurgical Engineering colleges offer this service, some don't provide as much assistance as you are led to believe. The best programs for post-graduate assistance include help with job placement both before graduation and continued support as you advance in your career. These programs can also assist you in preparing your resume so it maintains a competitive edge on the job market, work with you as you prepare for job interviews, and advise you on your job performance.